So this upcoming Thursday I have an appointment with my gyno/surgeon. On January 15th, I will have my last Lupron Depot injection, and afterward will have a sit down with my physician to discuss what’s next. I last met with him four months ago to discuss how I was feeling after my surgery, and what to expect in the future.
At that time, we discussed continuing the Lupron Depot injections for the full six-month course (which I’ve done) and after the completion of the injections, going onto a continuous birth control pill to help control the Endometriosis growth and pain. He said the choice of B.C. was up to me, and after a lot of research and talking to friends who are nurses and attorneys (who have handled several mass tort cases against certain birth control pills), I’ve decided to try taking Lybrel (generic name Amethyst). If B.C. doesn’t help with the pain, he ultimately feels a hysterectomy would be the best choice. After all of the reading and research I’ve done, though, we all know it’s not a guarantee…
But what do I need from you? I’m working on generating a list of questions to ask him during our appointment. I know me, I’ll get so flabbergasted by all of the information that I’ll forget 50% of the questions I want to ask. So I plan on printing them out and walking in with a list.
If you can think of any additional questions you think I should ask, please feel free to drop me a comment below! And thank you!!!
Here’s the list of questions I’ve created so far:
- How long until the Lupron Depot is out of my system? I know the medication is supposed to last one month, but when will the side effects go away?
- I have about 38 Northindrone pills left (8 in current prescription; 30 for next month). Shall I continue to take them each day until gone?
- Will menopause be as bad as it was on Lupron Depot? Or was that magnified due to the chemical inducement?
- When do I start birth control?
- How long will I have to be on continuous birth control?
- I know that women over the age of 35 should not take B.C., or be monitored while taking it. What sort of regular monitoring will we need to do?
- I’ve heard B.C. can cause cysts and/or even cancer. Is that true?
- I understand I will have breakthrough bleeding or spotting while on continuous B.C. How bad will it be? Predictable?
- Will Lybrel/Amethyst be bad for me because of my Gilbert’s Syndrome? What about the Endo on my liver?
- If I don’t like Lybrel/Amethyst, when can we try something else?
- If I can’t stand B.C. at all, what’s another option?
- If I do need a hysterectomy, would it be partial, total, or radical? Remind him of my history of abnormal Paps.
- If I do need a hysterectomy, can we do it without transvaginal mesh? TVM has ongoing mass torts…
- If I do need a hysterectomy, will I have to go on Hormone Replacement Therapy? If so, will the estrogen make the Endo grow back quickly?
- Assuming my next appointment will just be for my annual pap? Or will we schedule an ultrasound?
- When will I know if we need a second excision surgery?
- I’ve changed my diet hoping to help keep symptoms tame. I’ve also started taking supplements (Omega-3s, Folic Acid, Calcium+Vitamin D, Milk Thistle Seed Extract). Anything else I can do naturally to help?
I’ll likely overwhelm my doctor with questions, but he has incredible patience, understanding, and has always listened to me. I adore him and his staff and am looking forward to our meeting.
But again, if you have any suggestions for further questions, please drop a comment below.
Always yours, Lisa.